We absolutely loved meeting and working with Monica Pedersen of HGTV for our La-Z-Boy Designer Dream Room Sweepstakes here in Chicago. We are excited to have teamed up with her again and introduce you all to her newly published book, Make It Beautiful. This gorgeous, full-color coffee table book is the perfect go-to guide for elegant and approachable entertaining. The book showcases ten fabulous parties in addition to providing tips, recipes, and advice that can easily be recreated for any occasion and any budget.
Among the events are an eco-friendly graduation party; an elegant, white-and-silver-themed wedding reception; a “wine and design” party; a charming tea for two; and a gingerbread house decorating party. Monica’s experience as a host/designer for HGTV as well as her many years in the fashion industry have endowed her with broad expertise in planning and assembling stylish event designs.
Monica shared with us her top five tips when it comes to entertaining:
1. Reuse it! If you do a lot of entertaining, invest in versatile items that you will reuse again such as clear glass accessories. Glass candle holders, for example, can be repurposed later as floral containers or centerpieces.
2. Tie your table together by carrying your tabletop design color scheme into one of the courses you serve.
3. No matter where you’re entertaining, look to architectural details for inspiration. Always keep the “where” in mind when making design decisions.
4. Whatever you choose to celebrate, make the effort, enjoy the process, and make it beautiful - on any budget!
5. Remember to bring your sense of humor. Everything doesn’t have to go perfectly to have hosted the perfect party.
(All photos used with permission from Monica Pedersen Make it Beautiful: Designs and Ideas for Entertaining at Home, by Monica Pedersen, Agate Midway, May 2012)
We are giving away to one lucky winner a signed copy of Monica’s book! All you have to do to enter is like GOLP on Facebook and comment how you make your party beautiful when you entertain! Is it fresh flowers, good wine, or the table scape? Let us know and you can be entered-to-win! The giveaway will run Monday, June 4th through Thursday, June 7th at 5pm CST.
Monica will be hosting a special book signing at the fabulous Chicago design store, The Find (1819 W. Grand) on Friday, June 8th from 11-2pm. Can’t make it? Be sure to follow Monica on both Facebook and Twitter for continuous design updates, tips, and inspiration! Xo - GOLP